Friday, May 18, 2012

"If the language works, the language works"



The Persuaders clip got me thinking of when else word usage can sell, and I immediately thought of my evening job as a server and bartender.  My tips directly correlate with the amount of sales I have; therefore, the more items I sell, or the more I can "upsell", the more money I will make.  We have been taught to use "sizzle" words to make the product more appealing.

For example:
Instead of  "the beef rib-eye is the featured entree tonight"
 we are trained to say "we are featuring the beef rib-eye; it is flavorful, hearty, and marbled cut, perfectly seasoned and cooked to your liking"

Or
 
"Our cooked to order crab cakes are combined with southwestern flavors and grilled to a golden brown, served with lightly seasoned asparagus and creamy cole slaw" instead of "the crab cakes are served with asparagus and cole slaw".

Sizzle words work because they create a picture in your head of the item; the person selling you the food wants you to think about how the food is going to look, taste, and smell so it will get your mouth watering and your wallet open.  Other words are "caramelized, home-made, marbled, fresh, crispy," etc.

Another interesting technique I have played around with, but haven't definitively had results with is the "Sullivan Nod".  This is when you suggest something and then give a slight nod.  The number of people who buy the item after seeing this subtle nod goes up, it is thought because people like approval even from those selling the item to them.

So next time you are eating out, listen for sizzle words and think about if it makes you want to buy it.  And then, do it, because the server will appreciate it :)

2 comments:

  1. I have also worked in the food industry as a cook, but we use these same words when coming up with specials for the night. Makes a big difference in how well it sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point you bring up Jodi. I have often heard servers say those lines before. For me I can pick up one if the servers who are new to the industry or a veteran. What I mean by this is that, the veteran is very calm, not pushy, has all the information memorized; where as a novice is a more nervous, has memorized every pause they are going to have in the opening line to a point that it is more like an automated recording.

    ReplyDelete